Monday, December 10, 2007

samarkeolog, human rights archaeology blogsearch, blogroll

I've revised my samarkeolog, human rights archaeology and cultural heritage research blogs' layout, changing the search box and the blogroll (although the blogroll doesn't look very different on samarkeolog, because that's where I gather the links until I find the time to update all of the other pages together).

The most important is the insertion of a Google custom search box, which you can use as a blogsearch for all of and exclusively these pages; it leads to a Google page that I've modelled on Blackle (from which you can search the web, if you can't find what you're looking for on those pages).

The blogroll has been growing and growing. Last year, I was "trying to tidy my links list and/or blogroll", but I since gave up on explaining "what I was including or excluding and why" for every link. The crudely-categorised websites are all ones that I have visited and valued myself; I do not agree with or endorse all (or in some cases, indeed, any) of what any one of them says, but I trust their sourcing and presentation of data.

I was gratified to learn that, in a paper for the Freedom of Expression Project, Laura Kyrke-Smith (2007: 18) had listed my Kosova/Kosovo: cultural heritage and community pages as 'Neutral'. I hope that they are; unfortunately, I know that they are small, piecemeal and incomplete, so I hope the people who continue to visit them can find more, more up-to-date information through my links (which I am considering somehow working into my custom search).

A note of warning: I don't know why, but the Google Custom Search Engine (CSE) doesn't seem to search very intelligently. When I was searching for my old samarkeolog "links, blogrolls - where, why?" post, I could only find it searching for "blogrolls", not "blogroll"; even as a function of it not being important enough to mine ("spider") deeply enough to find the singular word in the post, I expected Google Search's word-stemming to be sufficiently effective to find the alternative form of the plural word in the post title and url.

Similarly - though this would be entirely a function of it not being important enough to mine deeply - it sometimes doesn't present individual posts. While I would like a search for "Cypriot donkey Denktash Makarios" to refer directly to my human rights archaeology "Cyprus: Donkey? True Cypriot!" post, the Google CSE only linked to the homepage (and in the future will only link to the monthly archive); while that page is currently Google's top result for searches for "Cypriot donkey Denktash Makarios", that remains an indication of just how few people are interested (and why that post will never earn its own Google result).

No comments:

Post a Comment