Thursday, October 13, 2005

Academic disclaimer: blog use and abuse

First I'll explain my Creative Commons attribution-noncommercial-share alike licence, including more permissions; then I'll discuss academic use and abuse of my blog more generally, e.g. academic offences; last, I'll explain the tweaking of the name.

Basics

My own work, and others' derivative works, can be copied, distributed, displayed, and performed,
  • if there is attribution - if credit is given as requested (at least by name and link online, and as an academic citation in print);
  • if it is noncommercial - see more permissions for conditions for commercial use;
  • if the users share alike - if my own work, and others' derivative works, are distributed under an identical licence; and
  • if the users follow the terms explained under more permissions.
More permissions

My project is a human rights project, to help to protect human rights affected by cultural heritage work, and to help to promote human rights through cultural heritage work.

While I accept that there are other moral codes, and therefore cannot simply say that I only allow people who believe in human rights to reuse or distribute my work, I refuse to allow nationalist extremists or religious extremists to reuse or distribute my work, or others' derivative works.

I am working on an educational, human rights project, and royalties would contribute to the continuation and extension of the project, so I cannot just allow any commercial use. Nonetheless, if there were direct, personal contact and agreement, I would consider allowing charities, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), etc. to use my images in fundraising.

Caveats

Any of the above conditions can be waived if I give permission. None of the above conditions affect: my moral rights; your fair dealing or fair use rights; or others' rights to the work or its use, for example, privacy. To reuse or distribute my work or others' derivative works, you must make clear my license terms - the easiest way is by linking to this blog post.

[Written on 10th August 2009; date set to avoid interrupting normal blog posts.]

Academic disclaimer: blog use and abuse

I'm writing this archaeoblog to enable my research to be accessed, used, contributed to, questioned and criticised; however, I'm not doing it to cause offence, cause trouble, defame, misrepresent, misinterpret or plagiarise. I write the posts (if not the comments) and any and all opinions are my own (except quotations, obviously).

Please accept that all statements are made in good faith and that part of the reason they are made available is precisely that any mistakes or misinterpretations may be corrected. My work is with and, as far as I am concerned, for the local and professional communities and the more accurate and detailed the information I have is, the more helpful I can be.

If, or when, these posts do contain errors of fact or interpretation, please forgive and inform me and I will correct them. As some of these posts are papers, etc., I may correct them by adding a comment and if others notify me of an error by adding a comment, I may deem that sufficient.

I try to include and answer corrections and other comments as soon as possible; but because of my domestic and working life, I am often away or without internet access. I would like to thank everyone who does comment, for helping me make my work as informative and as interesting as possible.

I've tried to make fair academic use of other people's work, drawing on it responsibly, accurately and openly and, though I would never seek to misrepresent anyone, I'm not infallible and may have misinterpreted someone accidentally. If I have misinterpreted someone, again, I want to correct that (for myself and for others).

If other people use my research, they should do it responsibly, accurately and openly: they shouldn't use it to cause trouble; they shouldn't misrepresent it and should try not to misinterpret it; and they should cite it (and those it cites) and not plagiarise it (or them).

These posts may contain information or cite a source that is inaccurate, out-of-date or otherwise no longer applicable; if people choose to use this information, they use it entirely at their own risk and they should verify that it is (still) correct; they should read the sources for themselves and make up their own mind about them.

I will cooperate with investigations concerning academic offences. All writings and images are the properties of the respective parties and unfair, unacknowledged, unauthorised or commercial uses may infringe copyright.

Blog name

Before, the blog was called Human Rights Archaeology: Cultural Heritage and Community, and described as an 'archaeoblog on human rights archaeology - community cultural heritage in Cyprus, Kurdistan/Turkey and Kosova/Kosovo' (the places added as my fieldwork developed).

After I left Kosova/Kosovo and went to Cyprus, however, I stopped trying to explore peace education at historic sites; then I stopped trying to study archaeological excavation in disputed territories; so the name seemed out-of-date.

Now, my research interests are united in the intertwined histories of the illicit antiquities trade, the destruction of cultural property and the Cyprus Conflict (and other conflicts), so I've tweaked the name and description.

Since I still want to work on archaeology that protects and promotes human rights, the full name is Human Rights Archaeology: Cultural Heritage in Conflict; but that is long, and I don't mind whether both or one of the halves is used (or a better name!).

I would describe it as an 'archaeoblog on human rights archaeology - the illicit antiquities trade and cultural heritage destruction in conflicts in Cyprus, Kurdistan/Turkey and Kosova/Kosovo'; but there is far more about Cyprus than there is about Turkey/Kurdistan, and there is far more about Turkey/Kurdistan than there is about Kosova/Kosovo.

[Formatted on 23rd January 2008; revised on 10th August 2009.]

1 comment:

  1. This is great post. It is additionally astoundingly satisfying for us. I have been looking through sorts of posts. A couple of days back I read an article about post. In any case, this superior to post.

    ReplyDelete