Monday, October 24, 2005

Kosovo fieldwork: multi-sited ethnography; languages

Kosova/Kosovo fieldwork notes extracts

Having spent the week as I had planned, in Prishtine/Prishtina/Pristina, on the 15th of July, I moved on to Prizren/Prizren. As soon as I got off the bus, I turned around to see a military contingent speed past; when I was having dinner, an English-speaking local informed me that they had been called out because there had been a bomb or a bomb scare in the town centre.

I finished my food and drink, indulged in the promenade that is central to sociality and went home. At 1.45am on the 16th of July 2005, I noted that:
I need to find out what my supervisors think about [a] dual-sited project - Kosovo then Cyprus or Ilisu - or multi-sited - Kosovo and Cyprus and Ilisu, etc. - and if they do find it acceptable, in which forms and whether I find them acceptable too.
I then considered:
Would the ESRC fund three-month courses for four languages - Albanian, Greek, Kurdish and Turkish - to enable that multi-sited... research? They do fund twelve-month courses for one (difficult) language, so [it's] not fundamentally different.
Participants have been afforded anonymity. Formatting has been changed to make it easy to read in a blog.

Technorati tags: ; /Prizren.

No comments:

Post a Comment