Friday, May 22, 2009

Illicit antiquities TinEye mash-up

Bizarrely, my USB modem's content control bans me from opening TinEye, so I'll flesh out the idea when I find some wifi to borrow, but I think a mash-up between illicit antiquities databases and TinEye could help counter online illicit antiquities trading.

According to TinEye's Google strapline, 'TinEye is a [free] reverse image search engine built by Idée currently in beta. Give it an image and it will tell you where the image appears on the web.' (Idée also have a commercial automated image monitoring service, PixID.) TinEye's Wikipedia page explains:
A image which a user uploads to the Web application search engine or provides a URL with an image will be looked up for other usage in the internet including their time of appearance and including modified images based upon that image. Idée Inc. says that "TinEye does for images what Google does for text".
I'm not sure if it would work or not, as different images of the same object might be too different for it to recognise, but someone more techy might be able to make this work...

No comments:

Post a Comment