Sunday, January 01, 2006

Kosovo fieldwork: Macedonian Orthodox Church; Ohrid

Kosova/Kosovo fieldwork notes extracts

Having accepted, at 2.30pm on the 30th of July 2005, that, "Ohrid's basically out of the question, along with seeing a friend", at 4.35pm, I noted that, "I'm going to Kukri/Phoenix [bar] tonight to meet an UNMIK member of staff, maybe..." and that, "it'll probably turn out that I needn't've hung around in Kosovo and could've gone to Lake Ohrid after all".

At 5.10pm on the 30th of July 2005, I jotted down that,
the guest house I'm in now does have satellite, so I can get the BBC - in this room at least [though it also had many, many beetles].

Maybe when I'm working here (in the region - I'm not conceding yet that I will end up in Kosovo), I'll get to Lake Ohrid - and Ohrid itself if it's apart from its namesake (though which took its name from which I don't know), to see the seat of the Macedonian Orthodox Church (that might provide a precedent for the establishment of an autocephalous Kosovan Orthodox Church) and to walk its lake's shores.

It's lucky I've been writing e-mails detailing my experiences, as I never get to write about them immediately afterwards - even today, having done nothing else, I ended up napping.
Participants have been afforded anonymity (unless they were acting in an official capacity and unless they waived the right to anonymity explicitly). Formatting has been changed to make it easy to read in a blog.

Technorati tags: /; ; /; ; .

No comments:

Post a Comment